Tomorrow, my wife Susie and I will celebrate our 23rd wedding anniversary. It’s always a day to look back on God’s goodness and blessings in our lives and look forward to the rest of our life together. With that in mind, here’s a list of 5 Politically Incorrect Reasons We’re Still Happily Married:
1. We’re BFF. We’ve always worked to put each other above anyone and everyone else (friends, family, even our own children). Truth is, there’s no one else I’d rather spend time with than Susie (and she’s says the same thing about me too).
2. We have clear roles and responsibilities. Our marriage and family are very “Traditional”. This has helped us through expectations and change of seasons that every marriage goes through.
3. We don’t try to change each other. It’s hard enough work trying to change oneself. I really don’t know anyone who is wise enough and strong enough to change someone else, only Jesus Christ can do that. That being said, we rely on the power of the Holy Spirit in our individual lives and marriage to help us to grow in order to be the best spouse/friend/person we can be for each other.
4. We still really like to kiss a lot and often! And everything else that kissing leads to in marriage! Few things are sadder than a marriage that shrinks into nothing more than glorified roommates. Were committed to NEVER let that happen. (Remember in the Bible, Abraham and Sarah had baby Isaac born when they were 100 years old)
5. We made vows to God and to one another for LIFE. We’re keeping those vows daily and remind ourselves of them often. Our marriage will end when we are “parted by death” and not a moment sooner (Hopefully she doesn’t kill me). I couldn’t help but laugh when Susie recently heard a song on the radio that she wanted to share with me called, “Better Dig Two“!
Oh yea, we enjoy a lot of humor in our marriage too!
Happy Anniversary Susie! I discovered the best part of me 23 years ago, YOU!!!
I Love YOU!
4 thoughts on “5 Politically Incorrect Reasons We’re Still Happily Married”
Happy 23rd Anniversary, Greg and Susie–two of my favorite people. You both are a shining example in many areas, and I hope lots of people take the time to read this. What a recipe for a great and lasting marriage. God bless!
Thank you so much, Ms. Joanne!
Happy Anniversary. You two inspire us to have a great marriage. Thank you for all your inspiration.
Great example of a marriage built on and dialed into Christ and His Word. One thing I remembered about you guys is you laughed a lot together. Best Friends for sure.