This time of the year, as a pastor, I always like to focus my reading on the cross. One of my all-time favorite books about the cross is the classic, “The Cross of Christ” by John R. W. Stott. This book is filled with so many nuggets of gold that it seems like a crime to even single out a few (but here I go anyway). Stott gives five points from Galatians 3:1-3 regarding The Cross and Preaching that are especially helpful for preaching this time of year:
1. Gospel-preaching is proclaiming the cross.
2. Gospel-preaching is proclaiming the cross visually.
3. Gospel-preaching proclaims the cross visually as a present reality.
4. Gospel-preaching proclaims the cross as a visual, present and permanent reality.
5. Gospel-preaching proclaims the cross also as the object of personal faith.
(For further explanation of these biblical and practical points for preaching on the cross, I highly recommend John Stott’s book found on the link above.)